Tuesday, January 13, 2009

RANDOM THOUGHTS @ 3 IN THE NIGHT


With blogging as a newfound hobby, comes a plethora of miseries. The constant clicks on the refresh button to check for new daggers. The excitement every evening to check for updates from my allies leading to the anger to see that many of them are almost as miserable in the art as me. There are a few who don’t update their blogs in months. Can’t think of what other hobbies they have engaged themselves in. Then there are others, who update their blogs so frequently that they make the entities comprising the first set think ‘why didn’t I engage myself in some other hobby?’ Talking about comments, here is some real time Gtalk chat that adds to my list of miseries:
The real Devdeep: give some comments on my attempt at blogging (in case u have gone thru it)...
AL: i did go thro it... it was kewl...i din comment over there...but it was cool.....
though i was not much familiar with ISI scene... it was a good attempt to make us understand
watever im saying... if theres a mistake pl do matiyao it... im drunk ill tell u my actual comments tom !!!!!!


Tomorrow never comes. I firmly believe that AL, my good friend's face will serve as a great pincushion. By the way, ‘matiyao’ means ‘procrastinate’ according to our college lingo. All fellow non ISMite bloggers with ‘miserably wide’ vocabulary should know that this one word precisely describes the sole truth of my college life. And probably yours too, unless you are this dude who played the electric guitar since the age of six or this geek who has been breaking into international security since dad brought you a computer for your high school project work. By the way, the ‘miserably wide’ expression does not make sense to me either.
Not all aspects of blogging are disheartening. Take for example, the profile. For a long time, I had left the ‘occupation’ field blank. I had wanted to fill in ‘amateur gamer for life’ or ‘replacement for Enrique in his videos’ or any such interesting stuff. However, I realized that it is still a long way before I can actually write something more worthwhile than ‘penniless couch potato’ and decided to fill in the entry with the names of two illusions, which I have unknowingly allowed to take control of my life in the hope to end the misery of not possessing an Audi.
These days thinking about jobs, gives me goose bumps. You would get those too, if you could imagine that the company you land on one day may cease to exist the other day. Creepy nightmares, with me pinned before a creepier HR is now a common affair. Here is one such interview, I fear to face someday or the other:


What sort of inspiration made you study Mathematics/Computer Science in a mining college?
The same sort which inspired these two departments to open these courses in a mining college. It is known as extreme optimism.


So I am guessing that you are an optimist?
Actually, no. I used to be, until I understood the proposition on which these courses were started.
"Any start-up which is marred by loopholes can be fixed to utter perfection within the next fifteen to twenty years."
I now fear that the above proposition may be true.


Okay. Let us talk academics. What is the part of mathematics that you like the most?
The part that makes you spend evenings at the campus tea stall along with your departmental professors. This is the part they taught us diligently in all the semesters. Rest all the subjects were one night stands before the end of every semester.


Tell us about your organisational skills. What all extracurricular activities did you engage yourself in?
Our college is a harbour of sinking ships. I served as the captain of one such ship. (If this sentence does not make sense to you right now, wait for my future posts. I may decide to write something on this later. No commitments now.)Also we have this annual cultural cum technical festival of ours. I had some role to play in that.


Ok. That would have been interesting. Tell us in detail, how you helped in the organization of your annual fest.
Well, I was an Application Engineer then, which best describes my work. Now before, the reader imagines me taking a plunge into the pool of sheer geekdom, let me explain what I meant by me being an Application Engineer (AE). Being an AE means you need to write numerous applications and letters to all sorts of people. I have written letters to tentative sponsors that involved drowning your event into certain awesomeness that never existed. I have helped in the chalking of tens of proposals and requests to different sections of the administration that makes me feel like an incessant whiner. Really, I will always remember my third year at college for my role as an AE.


Enough! Why should we select you after all?
I may be able to chalk out a proposal to sell out your company in time. That is before you decide to buy another company with your virtual assets and merrily open the Pandora’s Box on us.


I sincerely hope that writing this down, will cause my nightmares to cease once and for all.

5 comments:

Smart Primate said...

So here's the dagger you have been waiting for...

I see you are "seriously" thinking about job interviews. It has to be serious if you are having sleepless nights over it. What else would you call it when you are writing this at 3 a.m.?
Anyway, having read this piece, I now have my answers ready for the much-touted HR interview when it comes up.

Sukhi said...

All rite.....Here's what you shoul do. Start writing professionally, people will forget about Chetan Bhagat..movies would be made on ur stuff..technically, u wud be a paid unemployed though. But u will have to part with your royalties cause I wud sue you for money since I was the first to propose you this. SO we better work out a deal now itself if u want to keep it peaceful

girgitian said...

I second Sukhi's thought and as well waiting for my cut. As I am getting you drunk on the D-days of your placement interviews before the 'other DD' resurfacing in front of the HR of some unfortunate companies. This will make 'writing professionally' as the only option left for your daily bread. People will forget Chetan Bhagat and movies will be made on your stuffs and you expect me to sit silently and watch you steal the show.

SHADE said...

always nice 2 have a shower of sarcasm.....especially when my neighbors blissfully forget to take a real one n blame it on the "freezing" cold (and perfume the proximity in the process)

Quotable:"Our college is a harbour of sinking ships. I served as the captain of one such ship".....apropos

But....
"There are a few who don’t update their blogs in months"....to THIS i take offense.(and i DO have other hobbies too)

i'm not a frequent blogger n almost no1 knows me....well honestly,my personal opinion,let it flow man,n dont give a damn 2 make urself produce a blog....or for that matter make "comment collection" an avocation :P

mano said...

yup DD,
the whole ISM was seemed waiting to inculcate this hobby in u...nd finally u got the tym..though i dont agree that other mathematical stuffs are one night stand for u..we have only the legacy of 'matiyau' in ISMU plzz dont snatch it from ourselves. .atlast i really appreciate the way u became literary applicable with enough technicality and maturity in yr writing..keep it up buddy

MANORANJAN

Visitors