Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Rename Game

I desperately wish to write something. Blogging is a great way to relieve tension and bring up the calm. As usual, I have nothing to write but the motivation is high and the night has just begun. So here I am; hunting for a topic to pen down my thoughts. My last presentation of one aspect of college life seems to have gone well with my scanty bunch of faithful readers. Therefore this time I try to explore another fun aspect of college life: the renaming. It can be easily said that you enter college with your pleasant and sweet name and you go out re-christened with a cryptic acronym drafted out of your name. I and my friends have been victims of this weird tradition and I am sure my dear reader, if you be from some other college, you have been too. That’s how, Siddhant becomes Sid, Nilesh becomes Nilu, Gyanendra becomes Gyani and Vijit becomes Biju (this one in paricular reflects the creativity of a professor.) As far as I am concerned, I have been DD since time immemorial. I think it must have been sometimes after my birth that much to my annoyance, I have been stamped by this acronym which has now become my identity and has replaced my name which could have reflected my parents’ creativity.

However, I consider myself luckier as there are worse victims. There are people, who are almost unidentifiable if you call out their true names. I often wonder who the hell Ashish Yadav is for he is Haria/Harry (for his friends decided to rename him to make his name sound like that of a manservant) or who is Satyendra Aggarwal for he is Boss (for his dominating style.) Nor can I decipher the name Shubham Shankadhar for he is better known as Kholu (for he holds the best JEE rank among all the ISMites of my batch.) Then there is the case of Telly who is called so because of his exceptionally poor eyesight. I am sorry but I do not know his real name.

The rename game runs high in college life and most names stay even after leaving the institute. There is hardly anyone left out whose name hasn’t been transformed into something creative. My message to all those who believe in the statement: “What’s in a name?” Well, at college your name may not just identify you. Beware! If you have a bunch of creative friends, it might just reflect your entire personality or even peculiarity.

6 comments:

Smart Primate said...

very true... am reminded of our wing in 1st year, almost everyone was renamed... and the wing itself was rechristened 'Ramgarh' from 4th wing...

Wierdo said...

it amazing that in first yr entire wings were named as madar wing (6th), godfather wing(3rd).

Unknown said...

sahi hai yar, har college ki yahi kahani hai, there are indeed a number of guys around, listening to whose real names makes us think for a moment who the hell are we talking about...

Sukhi said...

well, for me the story starts from school...Yes, we had intersting nicknames for each other, and it became so much a part of the name, that when I made my first email id, it was part of it!!!
All frnds close to me have a nickname, given by me or others... For me, calling a frnd with his original name is like a disrespect, :P

??? said...

shitttt.....we gals miss out on all the fun.......:(

Anonymous said...

@ ???:- u gals miss out all the fun probably becoz u take things a bit too seriously. Calling some guy, 'tau', 'chacha', 'mama' 'kaka', 'uncle' etc wont be taken in derogatory sense by that guy but if sm1 uses 'chachi', 'kaki', 'aunty', 'mausi' etc for gals its taken otherwise...
So if you dont wanna miss fun try to chill out like us...

Visitors